As the kickoff of our “Webisode Wednesday” weekly video shorts, here’s a video to tickle your funny bone.
Greetings S&S Fans!
We are currently working to bring you a weekly podcast, starring the Director of Steamworks and Shadows! We’ll be talking about production of the web series, exclusive behind the scenes chats, special events and premieres, and other S&S projects.
Tune in here to steamworksandshadows.com to listen to our Director podcasts!
Sometimes its to your advantage for people to think you’re crazy.
– Thelonious Monk
Our official trailer for Season One of Steamworks and Shadows, being filmed this summer and released Fall 2013!
Editor/Director/Writer/SFX/VFX – Ben Watkins
Assistant Editor – Jashin Lin
Assistant Editor – Seth Hoover
Co-writer – Joe Myers
Assistant Videographer – Cristin Thompson-Watkins
Props by Aterman Props http://atermanprops.com
Music with permission by The Aeronauts
Special Dialogue Line Writer – Sarah Weed
Shot on Canon T3i, edited in Adobe Premiere CS5
Cast (in order of appearance):
JP Morgan – Rodger Francis
Jacob “Gunny” McManus – Kevin Purvis
Aura Korova – Aura Slavit
Lady Jade Summers – Jashin Lin
Carlisle Evans – Seth Hoover
Shamus McMagnus – Robert Shatlain
Adrian Colt – Joe Rexwinkle
Judge – Ben Watkins
Tobias Blackmoore – David Casper
Dr. Dominic Stark – Joe Myers
Layla Anders – Cristin Thompson-Watkins
Taking something made from plastic and turning it into an antiqued metallic color is a multi-layered, multi-step process. I have devised my own unique way of accomplishing the look, and I’d like to share it.
For the Steampunk Huntress Mask, I started with black ABS plastic sheet.
The first step was to establish the metallic base color, which in this case was bronze. I chose “Dazzling Metallics” bronze acrylic paint. After about 5 coats of this bronze paint, I had a good metallic base to work from, which you can see pictured on the left.
Next, I mix rubbing alcohol and black acrylic paint to make a wash. I do a quick wash over the whole piece and daub it with a rag for texture. Then, I mix some of the bronze paint into the black wash to make a dark bronze color and wash the piece again, but heavier this time. I daub away the excess paint with the rag, and the real texture starts to come through. After 1-2 more washes of dark colors, we end up with what you see pictured on the right. (the blue is masking tape to protect the clear lenses)
I didn’t get pictures of all my steps, but here’s what I did in a nutshell to the right part of the mask:
Heat Forming – I heated and formed the parts to a slightly curved shape to fit the face better and represent what’s in the original art. Then, I heat formed “wrinkles” into the wings to give them depth.
Assembly – I assembled the parts with a good strong glue, and then filled gaps and sanded edges to make everything fit nicely.
Paint – I started with several coats of high metallic bronze acrylic paint. Then, I blackwashed it lightly. Then I washed it in a really dark bronze. Then, I blackwashed it again and daubed it for texture. Here’s what came out, and I really hope the customer likes the paint scheme.
I received a commission to recreate the mask from a cool art piece of a steampunk era Huntress.
Here is the original art piece by http://michaeldooney.deviantart.com/
I’ll be building the mask from genuine leather and ABS plastic sheet, painted to look bronze. First, I created a vector blueprint based on what I saw in the art.
Then, I separated the pieces in the vector and printed the lineart at full scale to cut out the ABS pieces.
Next up: Cut out some clear, slightly domed, lenses and make the head-strap attachment hardware!
Here’s a project I did for the web series, Steamworks & Shadows. I started with an Optimus Prime kid’s voice changer mask, and tore it to pieces. Then, I reassembled it with various other bits out of my shop, and then painted and weathered.